SAMPLE EMAIL SCRIPT: Feel free to tweak it and add your personal thoughts and story -- why you support HB 1013.
SUBJECT LINE: Please support HB 1013
Hello! My name is ______________________ and I am reaching out to all members of the State Senate to respectfully ask you to vote and support House Bill 1013. Currently,
has the second most restrictive homeschool law in the nation. It's not a good rating to have for the Keystone State so I would ask that
you urge the leadership to put HB 1013 to a vote soon. Pennsylvania
On March 15, 2013, Rep. Mark Gillen introduced HB1013, legislation that would:
• Eliminate the public school superintendent’s redundant review of portfolios;
• Require superintendents to accept an evaluator’s determination that an appropriate education is occurring in the home education program;
• Provide for an administrative procedure to resolve any claim by the superintendent that the parent has failed to comply with any aspect of the homeschool law;
• Ensure that the home education program may continue during the time of any appeal of an adverse ruling by a hearing examiner; and
• Require that a high school diploma issued by the supervisor of a home education program be recognized the same as a diploma issued by the commonwealth.
On June 29, HB1013 was voted out of the House Floor by every Republican member and dozens of Democrats. Favorable testimonies at the hearing came from both parties. May I ask you to support this bill and encourage the leadership to put it on the agenda before it expires? With just a few session days left, we would be most grateful for your help to bring this to the finish line.
Thank you for your consideration and God bless you for your service.
Other Talking points:
• School district portfolio re-evaluation is unnecessary because we are thoroughly assessed by a state credentialed evaluator beforehand.
• HB1013 will strengthen school choice by diminishing hurdles for loving parents who wish to raise and educate their own children.
• HB1013 removes the discrimination against parent directed, privately funded home-based schooling.
• PA currently has the second most restrictive homeschooling laws in the nation. California, Ohio, Texas and Massachusetts are much less restrictive.
• HB1013 will save taxpayers millions