VACCINE EXEMPTIONS SHOULD NOT BE LIMITED BY THE GOVERNMENT
Hyperlinked to help you find the information quickly
HB 883 - This bill would continue to recognize a religious exemption from immunization but would create a burdensome procedure in order for the parent to claim it. The parent would have to sign an affidavit that would also have to be signed by a health care practitioner, stating that the parent has been advised of the risks and benefits of immunizations. This bill would also prohibit a parent claiming a strong moral or ethical conviction as an exemption from immunization.
SB 696 would prevent parents from objecting to immunizations based on a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
WHY FORCED VACCINATIONS ARE NOT GOOD FOR PENNSYLVANIA
HOUSE BILL #883 AND SENATE BILL #696
· These bills violate parental authority. All other medical procedures require parental consent. Even the American Medical Association (AMA) Code of Medical Ethics recommends “medical, religious, or philosophic” exemptions to immunizations[i]. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) also supports parental informed consent on vaccines[ii]. Because there is risk involved, there must be choice; parental choice.
· There is misinformation that is being circulated that PA has low vaccination rates, and this is not true. We do not have a vaccination rate problem in PA. In 2014, 95.98% of 7th graders were up to date on both MMR shots and 96.21% had all 3 polio shots[iii], this is over the 95% needed for "herd immunity" ranking our adolescent rate in the top 5 in the country[iv]. PA also ranks in the top 10 states for vaccination rates for 19-35 mo olds[v]. Also, those just vaccinated, using a live virus, can spread the disease as much as any unvaccinated person.
· Because the 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act, vaccine manufacturers and the doctors who administer vaccines are completely shielded from liability for vaccine injuries and deaths. It is the taxpayer who will pay the bill. Forced vaccinations will cost taxpayers even more. Already, there are millions of dollars being awarded every year to adults and children who have been permanently disabled from vaccines. See: http://www.mctlawyers.com/vaccine-injury/ and https://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/pace-study/
· There is a lot of false information about the diseases that vaccines were created to prevent, as well as the reasons for their decline. In some cases the mortality rate of the disease is the same as the risk involved from vaccine injury.
Whooping cough (Pertussis): The CDC says the vaccine is only 80-90% effective. Only 1-2% of those who get it die. Even those who are vaccinated against it still get the disease. In 2014 California had over 620 cases and 85% of those people were up to date on their vaccinations.
Polio: When it was wide-spread, less than 1% who contract the disease get symptoms of paralysis. The disease has been on the decline since before the vaccine was developed. The vaccine has actually caused a rise in polio and has been known to cause the human body to be more open to other sicknesses. http://www.collective-evolution.com/2012/02/18/the-polio-vaccine-myth-the-vaccine-stopped-polio/
Measles: Even during the early 1900’s during its peek measles had only a .015% mortality rate. The disease was drastically in decline and was nearly wiped out when the vaccine came out in 1968. In perspective, before the vaccine in 1963, although 450 people died from measles, 12,000 died from stomach ulcers, 43,000 died from car accidents, and over 700,000 died from heart disease. http://vaxtruth.org/2012/01/measles-perspective/
· Vaccines are not safe. They contain neuro-toxins, harmful metals, and material from aborted fetuses. Vaccines are drugs and per the CDC “any vaccine can cause side effects.[vi]” And again, “A vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions.[vii]”
· Some say we must protect those at risk, the “herd mentality”. The problem with this is it values one child’s life over another. Some legislators have even said some children will be harmed by the vaccines, but it is for the benefit of the whole. It is immoral to sentence one child to a life of mental disability, so another can be free of disease.
· A parent’s right to control their children’s upbringing, including decisions regarding the care, custody, and control of their children is a “fundamental right” which has been upheld by the Supreme Court for over 100 years. This includes medical care and decisions.
· Informed medical consent is a basic human right, which is respected in almost every other country in the world[viii]. The Nuremberg Code, prohibits forced medical treatments and procedures, of any kind, including vaccination.
[i] American Medical Association, Opinion 9.133 Routine Universal Immunization of Physicians, http://www.amaassn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/medical-ethics/code-medical-ethics/opinion9133.page
[v] http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/coverage/nis/child/data/tables-2013.html ; see also http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/29/which-states-are-the-best-and-worst-at-vaccinating-their-kids/ for an interactive map of vaccinate rate by state.
Compiled by Mark Moore, CHAP Legislative Coordinator